The work includes:
- designing, developing, operating, or inspecting accounting systems;
- prescribing accounting standards, policies, and requirements;
- examining, analyzing, and interpreting accounting data, records, and reports; or
- advising or assisting management on accounting and financial management matters.
Accounting theories, concepts, principles, and standards address these types of duties:
- determining the boundaries of an accounting entity; recognizing and measuring revenues;
- matching revenues and expenses by applying methodologies such as accrual accounting and depreciation; defining and measuring costs by application of methodologies such as standard, process, job-order, and activity-based costing; and
- full disclosure on financial statements.
In this career, you will prepare interpretative and administrative orders, rules, or regulations to give effect to the provisions of governing statutes or other requirements of law; draft, negotiate, or examine contracts or other legal documents; draft, prepare formal comments, or otherwise make substantive recommendations with respect to proposed legislation; edit and prepare for publication statutes enacted by Congress, opinions or discussions of a court, commission, or board; draft and review decisions for consideration and adoption.
The work requires knowledge of legal and regulatory provisions governing U.S. citizenship, nationality, and/or visas; and principles, systems, and operations related to the issuance of passports or other citizenship registration, certificates, or visas.
In this career, you will advise agency management on policy formulation and the potential public reaction to proposed policy, and identify and carry out the public communication requirements inherent in disseminating policy decisions.
The work requires knowledge of the legislation, regulations, and methods used in contracting; and knowledge of business and industry practices, sources of supply, cost factors, and requirements characteristics.
The areas of focus include: policy and planning, enterprise architecture, security, systems analysis, applications software, operating systems, network services, data management, internet, systems administration and customer support.