Who We Look For
Various skills and knowledge are required for each position within the U.S. Department of State. The best way to determine whether you qualify for the opportunity in which you’re interested is to click on the specific vacancy announcement under "Vacancy Announcements" and read the description of qualifications in detail.
In total there are 22 different specialist jobs that are grouped into several categories. Click on the specific categories to learn about the different positions within each.
There are several important eligibility requirements:
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- On the day you submit your application, you must be at least 20 years old and no older than 59 years of age. *
- On the day you are appointed as a Foreign Service Specialist, you must be at least 21 years old, and not yet 60. Diplomatic Security Special Agent candidates, however, must be appointed prior to their 37th birthday.
- You must also be available for worldwide assignment, including Washington, D.C.
See Diplomatic Security Special Agent candidate’s qualifications and requirements.
* Different limitations apply to Preference-Eligible Veterans age 59 and over. To ascertain if you are a Preference-Eligible Veteran, please follow the links on http://www.fedshirevets.gov to the "Veterans' Preference Questionnaire." If you are a Preference-Eligible Veteran age 59 or over, please contact email@example.com to let us know you are in fact preference eligible, and include the title of the specialist position for which you are applying.