Thank you for your interest in the Foreign Service Consular Adjudicator limited non-career appointment (LNA) opportunity. Your interest in this opportunity and your fluency in Mandarin have taken you to this next step.
While your role will be similar to that of a Foreign Service Consular Officer, it’s important for you to understand this opportunity is for a limited time - 18 months to begin - with a renewable contract for up to five years, depending on your satisfactory performance and the needs of the Foreign Service.
This role is critical to America’s national security; you will serve on the front lines of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, conducting one-on-one interviews and reviewing supporting documentation to determine if a foreign national meets the requirements for entry into the United States. This requires sound judgment and the ability to maintain your composure under stressful circumstances.
You will be required to submit an online application, that will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications, as well as supporting documentation that includes:
• Supplementary questionnaire
• Narrative biography
• College transcripts
Your complete application package will move into a review panel where assessors will determine whether or not you will be invited to an oral assessment.
* The first number represents verbal ability and the second number represents written proficiency.
- 1 is defined as limited Elementary proficiency. The person is able to satisfy routine travel needs and minimum courtesy requirements.
- 2 equates to Limited working proficiency. The person is able to satisfy routine social demands and limited work requirements.
- 3 represents Professional proficiency. The person can speak the language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on practical, social, and professional topics.
‡ We encourage candidates with questions about their level of language proficiency to visit www.govtilr.org and use the self-assessment tools on the lower left-hand side of the page.